Friday, March 14, 2014

Rejuvenated Mama

One of my favorite things in the world to do, especially when I feel closed in by life's trappings, is to grab a good book and head to a destination that promises to soothe both my palate and my temperament. There is nothing as relaxing as forgetting about your worries by submerging yourself in an engaging story. There is nothing more healing than savoring the tastes and smells of cuisine beautifully--artfully--prepared by someone else's hands. There is nothing more humbling than being served by someone whose sole purpose is ensure your dining experience is enjoyable and peaceful.

Tonight, feeling the need to spread my wings, I quickly headed out the door to avoid questions. I wanted my destination to be my secret. My mission was to gorge myself on food and non-fiction. God has a way of guiding my path just when I need it, and tonight was no different. I forgot my book at home and was forced to detour to Target, where, after reading many synopses, I settled on the perfect read:  Happy Wives Club: One Woman's Worldwide Search for the Secrets of a Great Marriage by Fawn Weaver. (The first chapter inspired me to create a new label for this blog. More on that on a later date.) I was not sure at which restaurant I would end up, but I told myself it would be Little Saigon in Brunswick if there was parking at front of the door--hot, steamy Pho would mollify both my strained throat (been sick for a few days) and spirit. Steps ordered, I pulled right up!

After the Vietnamese waitress graciously motioned for me to sit at a private table near a window, I immediately dove into my book while she fetched me hot tea. Moments later I was indulging in a heady pile of green papaya and shrimp salad soaked in a sweet and spicy concoction and topped with chopped peanuts--divine! My fragrant bowl of Pho arrived, chock full of Bok Choy, rice noodles, and chicken--ah! It was all I could do to keep my nose in the book while slurping the comforting potage. My alone-time concluded with delicately fried sesame-covered dough filled with a brown sugar and red bean paste--yum! My last moments (as corny as it may sound) were spent tearfully acknowledging a sunnier countenance and a redetermined spirit. I left feeling lighter, enlightened, and grateful.

If ever you, dear ones, feel "squeezed" consider some you-time...go somewhere nice, where nice people will welcome you and make you feel more like you. Be brave enough to feel comfortable being by yourself. Sometimes time away from all the entities that pull at you and enjoying your own quiet company can be quite rejuvenating!

Love,
~Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment