Thursday, November 24, 2016

The "C" Word

Nan's got stage ll cancer. In her left breast. A mammogram detected two small spots on her breast and an enlarge lymph node under her arm pit and a biopsy confirmed cancer. She is now scheduled for another biopsy to further determine next steps, which, at this time, looks like removal of the spots, lymph node and chemo. Nan is most afraid of losing her hair! (lol!) She asked me if I had any scarves she could have to cover her head with. I don't, but I did find there are cancer survivors who donate scarves and hats to cancer patients--soooo nice if we ever get to that. She was remarkably cheerful and positive when I had dinner with her and Pep last night...not so much today (Thanksgiving), though. As you can imagine, the anxiety she has endured the past couple of weeks has taken its toll on her and she is exhausted! I imagine this is going to be a trying roller coaster ride for all of us until she is CANCER-FREE!

My first thought after Nan confirmed she had cancer was FUCK!--a thought that might imply doom...and to tell you the truth, that's the way I felt initially. That's not the correct, appropriate mentality going forward, however. According to the American Cancer Society, "[f] or women with stage ll breast cancer, the 5-year relative survival rate is about 93%" and "[a]s treatments are improving over time, women who are now being diagnosed with breast cancer may have a better outlook than these statistics show." That means 93 out of 100 people live after cancer is gone and many live much longer than five years after diagnosis. This is encouraging! Let's think optimistically! Starting with some prayers...

Prayer for the healing of cancer

Lord,

You have taught me that faith as small as a mustard seed can grow into an amazing tree.
Today I give you my little seed of faith. I place it firmly in the ground of your word. I water it with truth. The warmth of your love will make it grow.
Today I ask by faith that you would bring healing from this cancer. I place my trust in you. May this seed sow healing into every area where the tumour has emerged. May it grow into a strong work, redeeming and restoring with great strength and power.

Amen.
(a Christian prayer for healing from www.lords-prayer-words.com)

...and something soothing...


With our love and support, Nan WILL be cancer-free (in Jesus' name)!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment