Thursday, December 29, 2016

Bus Trip to Nana's and Pepe's

While having lunch with Nana and Pepe today, Nan reminded me of a memory I had not thought of in quite a while. It's a memory that is a bit fuzzy (which concerns me because I seem to have forgotten some events from the past much too frequently as of late). I believe the year must have been circa 1993 as, Jay, you must have been at least 2 years-old. It would have been the Christmas your dad was away  in Korea for a year...I think? We, Al and Jay, traveled by bus from South Carolina to Maine to spend the holiday with Nan and Pep. As I write this, I think about what a long trip it was--through the night--and how nervous I was the entire time. The buses were not entirely clean and they were crowded. I cannot believe I traveled so far for so long with two very small girls! Was I nuts? I remember what good girls you were--very obedient and very quiet. You each had a backpack filled with fun things to do and your favorite snacks. Nan and Pep picked us up at the bus station in Lewiston...so thrilled to have their granddaughters and daughter home. I wonder if you remember the trip? You both slept in my girlhood bedroom upstairs, while I slept across the hall in my brother's old bedroom. Nan and Pep had a small black dog named Toby, whom you fell in love with and played with tirelessly. On Christmas eve, dressed in identical nighties, the two of you opened one present each, just as I had when I was a girl--a Christmas Eve tradition. The next morning, you were thrilled with the Little Tykes kitchen set "Santa" left for you, although we could not find a way to ship it back to Maine. I returned it before we began our trip back to South Carolina.

I'm hoping, girls, you are able to fill in some blanks...

Love,
~Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment